Calves are born with only on stomach but they quickly multiply!
HOW FRANKIE’S TUMMY WORKS
- Did you know cows swallow their grass without chewing it? Gulp!
- As calves we only have one tummy but cows have four! The Rumen, the Reticulum [Ray-Tic-You-Lum], the Omasum [Oh-Ma-Sum], and the Abomasum [Ab-O-Ma-Sum]….that’s SUMthing eh!
- When my mum first eats her food it goes into the Rumen which is like a big tank. There’s lots of “Rumen” there!
- After the Rumen, food goes into the Reticulum which is like a net. Anything that is small enough goes through to the Omasum, but if it’s too big it gets burped back up! Moooop! Pardon me!
- This burping is called “rumination” The food that’s burped back up is called cud.
- The cows then chew their cud some more before swallowing it and sending it back again into the Rumen. Hmmm… double tasty!
- The Omasum then removes any juices and feeds them into the cow’s system.
- The last tummy is the Abomasum which is like ours and there the remaining food is gobbled up and the waste comes out as a cow pat! Stay clear of that end!
Click on the image to learn more.