Hey kids! Your calf is lucky to have someone like you looking after it. I bet you want to do the best job possible, right? As a calf myself, I know how to help your calf grow big and strong, and live a healthy, happy life. Just follow my advice:
- Your baby calf needs to drink at least 2 litres of milk from its mother in the first 18 hours after it’s born. This first milk is called ‘colostrum’ and will help build your calf’s immune system so it can fight off any nasty bugs.
- Calves are happy when you follow the four ‘Golden Rules’:
- Keep us somewhere warm, dry and clean
- Control how much milk we drink (an adult can help you decide how much)
- Make sure there’s enough room in the trough for us to feed
- Don’t give us pasture or straw/hay for the first 8 weeks
- Veterinary care is important. Talk to your adult about organising vaccinations and horn disbudding while your calf is young.
- Make sure your calf has clean, safe water to drink.
- Check and clean all the milk feeders before you feed your calf.
- Calves like me like plenty of room to mooove! Make sure we have at least 1.5m² each in our pen.
The Best Way to Feed FiberGain!
One of the best things you can do is feed us FiberGain. It helps our stomachs develop so we can eat pasture and grow as big and strong as possible later on!
- Make a small amount of FiberGain available for us from the very beginning, even when we’re drinking milk.
- Make sure our trough is cleaned every day for the first two weeks and give us fresh feed. This will keep us eating lots!
- If our trough is empty, GIVE US MORE!
- Once we’re out on grass, keep feeding us FiberGain. Each calf needs 2kgs a day.